Overall survival for adolescents and young diagnosed with cancer has improved significantly over the past few decades, however, many AYAs with cancer face disparities in their care and outcomes. These disparities are seen from initial diagnosis, through active treatment, and in long-term survivorship. Race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and location of care area are each associated with differential survival and long-term health outcomes. The current talk will review key disparities in AYA survival and health-related quality of life, sociodemographic and clinical variables associated with poorer health and survival outcomes, and opportunities to mitigate these disparities.
**Don’t have time to watch the full recording? Check out this 7-minute Lightning Lesson for a condensed version focusing on the major highlights and takeaways.
- Murphy CC, Lupo PJ, Roth ME, Winick NJ, Pruitt SL. Disparities in cancer survival among adolescents and young adults: a population-based study of 88 000 patients. JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2021 Aug 1;113(8):1074-83.
- Wolfson J, Sun CL, Kang T, Wyatt L, D’Appuzzo M, Bhatia S. Impact of treatment site in adolescents and young adults with central nervous system tumors. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2014 Aug 1;106(8):dju166.
- Berkman AM, Andersen CR, Hildebrandt MA, Livingston JA, Green AL, Puthenpura V, Peterson SK, Milam J, Miller KA, Freyer DR, Roth ME. Risk of early death in adolescents and young adults with cancer: a population-based study. JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2023 Apr 1;115(4):447-55.
- Berkman AM, Livingston JA, Merriman K, Hildebrandt M, Wang J, Dibaj S, McQuade J, You N, Ying A, Barcenas C, Bodurka D. Long‐term survival among 5‐year survivors of adolescent and young adult cancer. Cancer. 2020 Aug 15;126(16):3708-18.
- Chao C, Bhatia S, Xu L, Cannavale KL, Wong FL, Huang PY, Cooper R, Armenian SH. Chronic comorbidities among survivors of adolescent and young adult cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020 Sep 9;38(27):3161.